Level and attunement
This guide shows all information (Alliance and Horde).
Minimum entrance level: 19
Meetingstone level: 20-28
Advised level (most fun): 22-24
From Blizzard's Official site:
|Situated along the Zoram Strand of Ashenvale, Blackfathom Deeps was once a glorious temple dedicated to the night elves' moon-goddess, Elune. However, the great Sundering shattered the temple - sinking it beneath the waves of the Veiled Sea. There it remained untouched - until, drawn by its ancient power - the naga and satyr emerged to plumb its secrets. Legends hold that the ancient beast, Aku'mai, has taken up residence within the temple's ruins. Aku'mai, a favored pet of the primordial Old Gods, has preyed upon the area ever since. Drawn to Aku'mai's presence, the cult known as the Twilight's Hammer has also come to bask in the Old Gods' evil presence.
Achievements for this dungeon
- Blackfathom Deeps
- 10 points: Defeat Aku'mai.
Quests for this dungeon
- [22D] The Essence of Aku'Mai
- Given by Je'neu Sancrea, in Ashenvale. This is the followup quest of the optional part [22D] Trouble in the Deeps, which you can get from Tsanuman in Stonetalon Mountains. You have to collect some Sapphire of Aku'Mai from inside the dungeon. Easy done.
- [22D] The Test of Righteousness
- Given by Jordan Stilwell, in Silvermoon City. This is followup quest for Paladins only. This is also not the last quest in de chain. One of the four objectives of this quest is a Purified Kor Gem. The Kor Gem itself drops of the mob in the caves before the instance entrance, You don't have to go inside the instance itself. But the Gem needs to be purified for the quest. The purification is done by doing the quest [22D] Seeking the Kor Gem, you should do this one first.
- [25D] Knowledge in the Deeps
- Given by Gerrig Bonegrip, in Ironforge. You have to get a Logalis Manuscript from a box in the water. The box can be found in the cave with the pool and the turtles when you enter this area, IMMEDIATELY off to the right you'll find the box. It's marked on the map (10).
- [23D] The Path of the Adept
- Given by Knight-Lord Bloodvalor, in Silvermoon City. This is a followup quest for Paladins only. This is also not the last quest in de chain. One of the four objectives of this quest can be found in this dungeon. Corrupted Kor Gem is dropped by the mobs in the caves just outside the dungeon.
- [25D] Twilight Falls
- Given by Argent Guard Manados, in Darnassus. You just have to get 10 Twilight Pendants that drop of any Twilight mob inside the dungeon. You'll get them as you go.
- [25D] The Orb of Soran'ruk
- Given by Doan Karhan, in the Barrens. This is a quest for Warlocks only. One of the two objectives of this quest can be found in this dungeon. The three Soran'ruk Fragments drop from Twilight Acolytes inside the dungeon. You'll need 3.
- [26D] Allegiance to the Old Gods
- Given by Je'neu Sancrea, in Ashenvale. This is the second and last quest of a questchain. You have to kill Blackfathom Tide Priestesses outside the instance untill a Damp Note drops, this note starts the pre-requisite. The dungeon quest itself is about killing Lorgus Jett.
- [27D] Amongst the Ruins
- Given by Je'neu Sancrea, in Ashenvale. You have to pickup a Fathom Core. Its underwater at the second pool in the dungeon. The core is also marked on the map. Once you click it to complete the quest, a water elemental elite Baron Aquanis will apear. If you kill him, he will drop a Strange Water Globe which starts [30D] Baron Aquanis. This last one gives some great rewards.
- [27D] Blackfathom Villainy
- Given by Argent Guard Thaelrid, inside the dungeon. You have to kill Twilight Lord Kelris and get his Head. For Alliance there is an optional pre-requisite quest [24D] In Search of Thaelrid you can get in Darnassus.
This is the map with important spots of the dungeon. Get full map here.
- Twilight Lord Kelris
- Old Serra'kis
- Fathom Core
- Lorgus Jett
- Lady Sarevess
- Argent Guard Thaelrid (Quest giver)
- Chest with Logalis Manuscript
(E = Entrance CS = Chest spawn)
Bosses, tactics and drops
- [22-25E] Ghamoo-ra
- Ghamoo-ra lives on the small island in the second cavern of the instance. He roams around the center of the landmass and is surrounded by several other turtles. The additional turtles are neutral, and Ghamoo-ra can be engaged without disturbing these other beasts. The fight with Ghamoo-ra is fairly straightforward, although due to Ghamoo-ra's high armor value the encounter can last a fair amount of time. He only casts Trample, which is an AoE physical damage spell. It can be blocked.
- [23-25E] Lady Sarevess
- She can kill you if you are not too careful, for she will spam Forked Lightning quite a few times so have the tank face her away from the rest of the group. Other than that there's nothing special about her. She moves around the cave, so pull her when theres no mobs near.
- [24-26E] Gelihast
- He goes down quite quickly but he can interrupt and kill casters very quickly, dealing high damage as he is wielding 2 swords and has an incredible attack speed. Killing him allows access to an altar, when used it gives the beneficial debuff Blessing of Blackfathom. Gelihast is in a large room filled with Blindlight Murlocs, and it is not uncommon for a fleeing Murloc to pull him into the fight causing a wipe.
- [24E] Old Serra'kis
- Finding Serra'kis is harder than the actual fight. To reach him, you must dive into the water around Moonshrine Sanctum and swim under the left side of the ruins. Thankfully the fight isn't tough and as long as you're careful not to run out of breath you shouldn't have any problems. Having a Warlock or Shaman to cast Water Breathing is helpful here. If you are unable to do this, it will be difficult to kill him quickly enough because the cave he is located in does not have an opening to the surface for air. Kiting him out of the cave may be a better option than fighting him inside it in this case.
- [24E] Twilight Lord Kelris
- Kelris is in a trance as you enter the room, so you have to attack him before he will respond. He is not accompanied by any guards, so it is possible to pull him without aggroing any adds. It is also unfortunately very easy to pull some more mobs in the room with him, so be careful. This should be an easy fight for a competent group. Watch for the Mind Control he casts periodically. He will also put players to Sleep, so be prepared to pick up the slack from an incapacitated player. He runs around a lot when he is casting, so it is advisable to either clear the room before killing him, or pulling him outside onto the steps.
There are 4 candles on the altar he is praying to. After Kelris is dead, light these ONE at a time. Each one will spawn a large group of elites (Aku'mai Servant) after a 5-10 second delay. After all the candles have been lit, the door to Aku'mai is opened.
- [24E] Aku'mai
- Aku'mai provides a pretty straightforward fight, but that doesn't make it easy. The big hydra has a vast load of health. She also has a poison attack that's worth keeping an eye on. Give her hell.
Before entering the dungeon
Horde: Kill Blackfathom Tide Priestesses outside the instance untill a Damp Note drops, this note starts  Allegiance to the Old Gods . Then turn this one in and get al the quests from Je’neu Sancrea in the Zoram’gar Outpost. If you are a Paladin, you should do the questchain needed for [23D] The Path of the Adept.
Alliance: Go to Dranassus and get the two quests for the dungeon there [24D] In Search of Thaelrid and [25D] Twilight Falls. If you are a Paladin, you should do the questchain needed for [22D] The Test of Righteousness.
All: If you are a Warlock, you should pick up [25D] The Orb of Soran'ruk in the Barrens.
See wow-europe, wowwiki and/or thottbot for more information.