Level and attunement
This guide shows all information (Alliance and Horde).
Minimum entrance level: 10
Meetingstone level: 15-23
Advised level (most fun): 17-21
From Blizzard's Official site:
|Once the greatest gold production center in the human lands, the Dead Mines were abandoned when the Horde razed Stormwind city during the First War. Now the Defias Brotherhood has taken up residence and turned the dark tunnels into their private sanctum. It is rumored that the thieves have conscripted the clever goblins to help them build something terrible at the bottom of the mines - but what that may be is still uncertain. Rumor has it that the way into the Deadmines lies through the quiet, unassuming village of Moonbrook.
Achievements for this dungeon
- 10 points: Defeat Edwin VanCleef.
Quests for this dungeon
- [17D] Red Silk Bandanas
- Given by Scour Riell in Westfall. You need to collect 10 Red Silk Bandana which drop of any Defias mob. This quest only comes available after you have discovered the Defias hideout by doing quest [18G] The Defias Brotherhood. This is an escort group quest.
-  Collecting Memories
- Given by Wilder Thistlenettle in Stormwind City. This is not realy a dungeon quest, it can be completed outside the instance. You need to get 4 Miners' Union Cards. The cards drop from undead guys in the caverns before the instance entrance.
- [20D] Underground Assault
- Given by Shoni the Shilent in Stormwind City. There is an optional pre-requisite quest you could do for extra experience. You have to get  Speak with Shoni in Ironforge for that.
The dungeon quest itself is about getting Gnoam Sprecklesprocket that drops of one of the bosses, Sneed's Shredder.
-  Oh Brother. . .
- Given by Wilder Thistlenettle in Stormwind City. For this one you have to kill Foreman Thistlenettle and get his Thistlenettle's Badge. This is also not inside the instance but in the part before the entrance, at the end of the undead part of the dungeon.
-  The Unsent Letter
- Started by An Unsent Letter that can drop of VanCleef inside the dungeon. You have to bring the letter to Stormwind. This is the first quest of a 8 quests long quest chain.
- [22D] The Test of Righteousness
- Given by Jordan Stilwell, in Silvermoon City. This is a followup quest for Paladins only. This is also not the last quest in de chain. One of the four objectives of this quest can be found in this dungeon. Whitestone Oak Lumber is dropped by the goblins in the room of Sneed.
This is the map with important spots of the dungeon. Get full map here.
- Miner Johnson (rare spawn)
- Sneed and Sneeds Shredder
- Mr. Smite
- Captain Greenskin
- Edwin VanCleef
(E = Entrance X = Exit)
Bosses, tactics and drops
- [19E] Rhahk'Zor
- Rhahk'Zor provides a fairly straightforward fight and has the most health out of all bosses except for Edwin VanCleef who his health is roughly tied with. The only "trick" to this fight is the pull. Just wait til he walks farther away from the two Defias mobs, and then pull. Of course, with any decent group, these mobs don't present any sort of difficulty and so can be pulled with the big ogre. Rhahk'zor cannot be slowed by mages frost spells. "VAN CLEEF PAY BIG FOR YOUR HEADS"
- [20E] Sneed and [20E] Sneed's Shredder
- Make sure you kill as many mobs as possible before attempting to take on Sneed, as he will occasionally use Terrify, causing you to run in a random direction away from him. This could lead you straight into a mass of Goblins if you haven't killed them yet. After you defeat the Shredder, Sneed will jump out and continue the fight on his own legs. He is still very dangerous in this form, do not attempt to loot the shredder or move on until you are sure Sneed himself is dead.
Item drops (Shredder):
Item drops (Sneed):
- [20E] Gilnid
- Normal fight, nothing special. Clearing the room where he's in is harder then killing him. He mainly does fire damage.
- [20E] Mr. Smite
- Smite is accompanied by two rather tough, stealthed bodyguards. Once he is damaged enough, Smite will War Stomp your party and run back to a chest for a stronger weapon. The War Stomp will last 7 seconds and will occur twice during the fight, at 66% and 33% health. After the first stomp, Smite switches to dual reavers, and after the second stomp he switches to his hammer. He still takes damage from DoTs during the stuns, and it is possible to kill him during them in that manner.
It is recommended that the two adds are killed before trying to kill Smite, while the main tank is focusing on Smite, otherwise they will keep beating on your party while your party is stunned by his stomp.
- [20E] Cookie
- Before pulling Cookie, try to slay all additional mobs that could be aggroed during the fight. When fighting against the ship's cook, just focus on him, and dispel the Acid Splash debuff when he casts it.
- [20E] Captain Greenskin
- Greenskin as some adds, but kill Greenskin first. Try and Poly or trap some of the adds.
- [20-21E] Edwin VanCleef
- Make sure to defeat Captain Greenskin who patrols the area where VanCleef is standing first. VanCleef initially has two level 19-20 adds. When VanCleef's health drops below 50%, two additional level 19-20 adds will spawn. Get the adds first while your tank keeps VanCleef busy.
VanCleef can drop An Unsent Letter that starts  The Unsent Letter the first quest of a long quest chain.
Before entering the dungeon
Alliance: Pickup the three quests in Stormwind City,  Collecting Memories, [20D] Underground Assault and  Oh Brother. . .. Then go to Wastfall and do [18G] The Defias Brotherhood escort quest to unlock [17D] Red Silk Bandanas. If you are a Paladin, you should do the questchain needed for [22D] The Test of Righteousness. Now your ready to go.
See wow-europe, wowwiki and/or thottbot for more information.